CHANGES: Throughout 2014-15 our Governing Board examined our effectiveness and considered how we would operate in the future. Our guiding principles:
- Focused closely on the needs of our pupils and our community
- Completed in full consultation with our community, Diocese and Local Authority
- Size – no bigger than necessary
- Skills/experience should be a key consideration in appointing/electing governors
- Find out our skills. Use a skills audit to identify gaps in skills, knowledge and experience of existing governors
- Click here for the Governing Body Skills Audit which we used to help guide us in our decisions.
- The reason we used this, was to be confident that we as a governing body had the skills required to contribute to the effective governance and success of our school and our pupils.
- In future our Governing Board should review their effectiveness regularly
- We reduced size of our governing body from eighteen to twelve.
- We are confident we now have skills across of range of expertise to take us unto.the future
- We have a new instrument of government for our Governing Board (see below).
INSTRUMENT OF GOVERNMENT
Instrument of Government for a Catholic School in the Trusteeship of the Diocese
DIOCESE OF HEXHAM AND NEWCASTLE
St Aloysius’ Roman Catholic Federation, Hebburn
Instrument of Government
- The name of the school is St Aloysius’ Roman Catholic Federation, Hebburn.
- The School was founded by and is part of the Catholic Church. The school is to be conducted as a Catholic School in accordance with Canon Law and the teachings of the Catholic Church, and in accordance with the Trust Deed of the Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle and in particular:
(a) religious education is to be in accordance with the teachings, doctrines, discipline and general and particular norms of the Catholic Church;
(b) religious worship is to be in accordance with the rites, practices, discipline and liturgical norms of the Catholic Church;
and at all times the school is to serve as a witness to the Catholic faith in Our Lord Jesus Christ.
- The School is a voluntary aided school in the trusteeship of the Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle and is an exempt charity for advancing the Catholic religion in the Diocese by such means as the Bishop thinks fit and proper.
- The name of the governing body is: The Governing Body of St Aloysius’ Roman Catholic Federation, Hebburn.
- The governing body shall consist of:
(a) 7 foundation governors;
(b) 2 parent governors;
(c) 1 head teacher;
(d) 1 staff governor;
(e) 1 local authority governor;
(f) 0 co-opted governors.
- Total number of governors: 12
- Foundation governors shall be appointed and may be removed by the Bishop of the Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle (or any other person exercising Ordinary jurisdiction in his name including, where the See is vacant or impeded, the person or persons on whom the governance of the See has devolved).
- The term of office for every foundation governor shall terminate four years from the date of appointment.
- This Instrument of Government comes into effect on 1 September 2015.
- This Instrument of Government was approved by the Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle during 2015 and made by order of South Tyneside following this.
- A copy of this Instrument of Government must be supplied to every member of the governing body (and any headteacher if not a governor), and the Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle.